Okay, so I know it's not a Milwaukee area restaurant, but Brad and I made a little side trip over Thanksgiving weekend. We went for lunch at The Horse & Plow in Kohler (it's near Sheboygan). It's a little pub (good for lunch) at the American Club, which I've never stayed at, but hear it's wonderful! If you're making the trip up north a bit, I would recommend stopping by.
Atmosphere: It's a pub, so it's casual in atmosphere. They have a decent-sized seating area, some booths, tables, and a bar. There are a few big screen TVs set to sports as well. Decor includes some old fashioned touches, as well as many old Sheboygan county black-and-white photos. It's connected to the American Club, so it's kind of fun to walk around a bit before or after eating.
Drinks: It has a bar, so it really has everything. Brad was impressed by their two page beer menu, including 12 on-tap brews. They have over 120 bottles of beer. I think everyone could find something to enjoy.
Menu/Food: The menu has some good Wisconsin appetizers (including beer cheese soup!) and a few salads, but is heavily focused on sandwiches. I think they had three separate dinner entree choices. Brad LOVED his burger, which was a half-pound burger smothered with butter, feta, guacamole, lettuce...and of course, served on a Sheboygan hard roll. I also loved my meal, which was a hot ham and 4-cheese toasted sandwich. It was served with a delicious dijon mustard and the bread was crusted with more cheese! It was seriously amazing. Both of us had sweet potato fries on the side, and they were delicious! Neither of us had a hard time finding something to eat. The menu had many good lunch options plus they had a special of the day that was not listed on the menu. Portions were pretty big, but that meant I had dinner leftover! No complaining there. Prices ranged from $8-14 for sandwiches/burgers. The food was definitely to-die-for, and we both agreed with could eat our meal weekly or daily and be perfectly happy!!!
Service: Well, it's a pub, so service was nothing special, but was fine. My water glass was refilled just before it was empty, and our waitress checked back after we had time to try the food to see how we liked it. The bill came after we were done eating and Brad was just finishing his beer. I did feel our waitress seemed to have a few too many tables, but we weren't left waiting for a long time. Our waitress was able to make recommendations (I was deciding between two sandwiches) and I ended up loving what she had suggested. Food came out relatively quickly, but they were not very busy.
Other: The American Club has a few other restaurants besides The Horse and Plow, but we have not tried them. Let us know if you have and would recommend one!
OVERALL: We both loved our food A LOT, but probably wouldn't recommend driving there just for dinner. It's a nice lunch spot if you're on your way to Green Bay or elsewhere north of Milwaukee, or of course, if you're lucky enough to stay at the American Club for a night. :) Brad and I both give the restaurant 3 out of 4 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment